Get excited, because the 2018 Grammys are almost here and Childish Gambino is one of the select few who is dominating the nominations. The 34-year-old rapper could join the ranks of Patti LaBelle, Prince, Aretha Franklin, and Beyoncé if he wins best traditional R&B performance for “Redbone,” and that’s just the tip of the iceberg! Get to know all about Childish Gambino and his Grammy nominations.
- You already know him by another name. The rapper is known as Childish Gambino in the music world, but his real name is actually Donald Glover. He’s starred in TV shows like Atlanta and Community, and even appeared in Spider-Man: Homecoming. Childish Gambino told Jimmy Fallon back in 2011 that he got his rap name from The Wu-Tang Clan Name Generator. “It was sophomore year of college and we were all hanging out, chilling, and drinking,” he explained. “Mine came up and I was like, ‘It’s not funny anymore. This is something big.’ I just really liked it. It felt like me. It’s a little scary, but mostly cuddly.”
- Sadly, he’s taken. Not only is Childish Gambino in a relationship with a woman named Michelle, but the couple are parents to 1-year-old son Legend and are currently expecting their second child together.
- He’s on his way to potentially winning his first Grammy. Childish Gambino is nominated for five Grammys this year, including album of the year and best urban contemporary album for Awaken, My Love!.
- He credits his career to Tina Fey. Before launching his music and acting career, Childish Gambino was hired by Tina Fey as a writer for 30 Rock. “I decided I wanted to write for television because of Tina,” he told Wired in January 2017. “She was always so happy, and I was like, ‘I want to be happy like that, too.'” In another previous interview with EW, Childish Gambino revealed that Tina “taught me how to write, but also about the politics of television.”
- Get ready to say goodbye to Childish Gambino. The rapper recently announced that he will be saying goodbye to his alter-ego very soon as his next album will be his last. “I feel like there’s gotta be a reason to do things and I always had a reason to be punk,” he told The Huffington Post in June 2017. “Being punk just always felt really good to me and we always looked at Atlanta as a punk show and I feel like the direction I would go with Childish Gambino wouldn’t be punk anymore. As much as ‘Redbone’ is a punk song because it’s a gospel song that’s on the radio, I’m like there’s only so far you can go before you just are the radio.” But don’t worry, he’ll still be around. In addition to appearing in the upcoming Han Solo spinoff movie, Solo: A Star Wars Story, he will also be playing Simba in The Lion King reboot.
Latest Celebrity & Entertainment